Welcome bar

"Teach me to run with scissors..."

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Complicated Instructions for Simple Tasks

Ahola!

I was seated on the john today enjoying an encyclopedia when I came across the article on the geometric shape known as a star. Yes... I read encyclopedias for fun... while on the pot.

But that's not what we're here to talk about.

We're here to talk about--as the title indicates--complicated instructions for simple tasks.

Why did I choose this topic? Well... mostly because of what I found in the article on the star shape. It included this set of instructions:
 
(And I quote...)
 
How to Draw a Star. This geometric drawing can be made by drawing a four-inch circle. Draw the horicontal and vertical diameter ab and cd. Mark the point of intersection e. Bisect eb and mark the point of intersection f. With f as a center, and cf as a radius, describe an arc cutting ae. Mark the point of intersection g. With gc as a radius and c as a center, describe two arcs cutting the circumference at h and j. With h and j as centers and the same radius, describe arcs cutting the circumference at k and l. Form a star by connecting c and l, c and k, h and k, l and j, and h and j.
Fun, eh?

My question for you is this: What impossibly complex instructions for unbelievably simple tasks do you know of?

No comments:

Post a Comment